Yup, I still had some chicken left over from Sunday's Herb Roasted Chicken. Not a ton, but just enough to add into a casserole and finally be done with the bird. We almost always have bunches of fresh broccoli & mushrooms in the fridge too, add them together with some whole wheat noodles, a lightened up cream sauce that uses Greek yogurt instead of Sour Cream and...Presto! A new & improved Chicken not Tuna Noodle Casserole. Happiness prevails in the Munoz Household!
Chicken Noodle Casserole
1 pkg whole wheat wide egg noodles (or regular if you don't want to use whole wheat)
1 small onion, sliced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 large or 2 small heads of broccoli, cut into small florets
1 to 2 cups roasted chicken, cut into cubes
1 can 98% fat-free condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
3/4 cup lowfat milk
3/4 cup nonfat or lowfat plain greek yogurt (you can sub light sour cream)
1/4 cup + 2 tbsps shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I love the ones you get from Vital Vittles, available at my much loved/mentioned Dan's Fresh Produce here in Alameda). Regular bread crumbs will work too.
Salt & Pepper
- Cook the noodles. Cook the egg noodles according to the package direction. Once done, strain the noodles into a colander, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and drain thoroughly. I like to use the whole wheat noodles for 2 reasons. One, they are better for you than the regular variety and Two, the whole wheat noodles seem to stay firmer when you bake them in the oven.
- Sauté the Veggies. Add a little olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add in the onions and mushrooms and let them sweat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and continue to let cook for another minute. Toss in the broccoli and season with salt & pepper. Turn the heat down to medium-low and put a lid over the pan so that the broccoli can steam for 5 or so minutes. Once the Broccoli has steamed, toss in the chicken, stir, and remove the pan from the heat.
- Prepare the Cream Sauce. In a mixing bowl or large glass measuring cup add the can of condensed soup, the milk, the Greek yogurt & the Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Season with a little salt & lots of pepper.
- Mix it all Together & add the Topping. In a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray mix together the cooked noodles, the veggie/chicken mixture and the cream sauce. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and the remaining Parmesan cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake. Bake the casserole in a 350 F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until it's bubbly and the topping has browned.
- Serve! A few minutes to cool down and dinner is ready to go!
So that's it for the roast chicken, no more leftovers to figure out what to do with, and no more leftover chicken recipes to post, at least until the next time I make a roast chicken!